Pages

Thursday, May 8, 2008

I can't read shit anymore

I checked out the book "An Abundance of Katherines" by that John Green dude yesterday. I didn't really watch many of the YouTube videos (vlogbrothers for those of you who don't know) but I do watch 5AG and some others and have heard him and his books mentioned a few times. So yeah. I checked it out at the library. I finished it about 5 minutes ago and I have to say it was pretty good.
See, I'm not necessarily much of a book reader (which may explain my limited vocabulary) and my attention span normally doesn't allow for me to stay concentrated on reading for very long (especially when I am stressed about something... *coughineedafuckingjobcough*). This leads to starting books and never finishing. Or the best: starting a book, then starting that book again, then starting that book again.. aka, retrying to read the same book but never getting even half way through.
But it does kind of suck because the few times I get through a book without distractions I really enjoy it. And sometimes I go through these stages of just wanting to READ READ READ... but then go months-a YEAR without reading a single page of a real book. Ah ha. I'm probably just not reading the right stuff.
Anyways. This Katherines thing was very interesting to me and I don't know what it was that captured me. I was like those bookworms you hear that rave about being sucked into a novel and forgetting about the world around them. I probably could have read it in the middle of a busy mall and not notice anyone, and that's saying something. I'm the type of person who can't be around a group of strangers without getting self conscious and feeling like the world is judging me. I'm a nervous wreck in the world! Oh shit, I'm rambling.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The art of literature" by Arthur Schopenhauer
"...a man may have a great mass of knowledge, but if he has not worked it up by thinking it over for himself, it has much less value than a far smaller amount which he has thoroughly pondered."

http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/s/schopenhauer/arthur/lit/

I was reading but I didn't finish yet "Crime and Punishment" by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
"The Trial" by Franz Kafka...